The N.A. Eastern Province had two grace-filled events:
The Final Profession of Sr. Sophia Marie – August 15
and the First Profession of Sr. Graciela and Sr. Paulina – August 16
The initial formation group are offering service in June at the Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley Humanitarian Respite Center in McAllen, Texas, in order to get in contact with the people who hope to get permission to enter into the Unites States. The Sisters sent a short message: and some photos.
As a consequence of the Kulturkampf raging in Germany in the 1870s, the opportunity to establish a North American Province in the United States of America was realized in 1874. Throughout the next fifty years, the province grew and expanded into various eastern and mid-western states. By 1926, it was recognized that such a large province needed to be divided into two provinces – the North American Eastern Province and the North American Western Province.
A suitable location for the new Motherhouse of the Eastern Province was found in Mendham, New Jersey, the estate of the Cromwell family which was purchased in August 1926. After a few years, it became evident that the original Cromwell house was too small for the growing needs of the province. In 1930 the construction of a new, much larger Motherhouse was begun on the estate grounds.