As a consequence of the Kulturkampf raging in Germany in the 1870s, the opportunity to establish a North American Province in the United States of America was realized in 1874. Throughout the next fifty years, the province grew and expanded into various eastern and mid-western states. By 1926, it was recognized that such a large province needed to be divided into two provinces – the North American Eastern Province and the North American Western Province.
A suitable location for the new Motherhouse of the Eastern Province was found in Mendham, New Jersey, the estate of the Cromwell family which was purchased in August 1926. After a few years, it became evident that the original Cromwell house was too small for the growing needs of the province. In 1930 the construction of a new, much larger Motherhouse was begun on the estate grounds.
A new chapter began in the history of the Eastern Province when at an assembly in 2008 the Sisters strongly recommended that a serious study of the province resources should be made for planning for the next ten years. Consequently, professional advisors were hired. By 2010, it was decided that the retired Sisters living in Pennsylvania would move to the Mendham, NJ property. It soon became apparent that a new building would be needed to house all the Sisters living in Mendham. Groundbreaking took place in 2016, and by 2018, the new construction project was completed.
Throughout these many years, God’s faithful plans for the province continued to unfold in various ministries: elementary, high school and college education; health care; religious education and pastoral work in parishes; diocesan leadership and retreat ministries. The sponsored works of the Eastern Province of the Sisters of Christian Charity include Assumption College for Sisters, Geisinger Holy Spirit and UPMC Susquehanna. The province also co-sponsors the Passaic Neighborhood Center for Women and NativityMiguel Scranton.
We trust that God’s loving presence will continue to be with us as a congregation as we move into the future, full of hope and open to the many needs of our times.